new banner

Friday, October 07, 2005

Square by square

As you might imagine, today was a strange day to live in New York City. And not to navel-gaze too much, but it was also a strange day to be a reporter in New York City. I got home a little while ago, and I'm only now starting to feel kind of emotionally exhausted. I guess I hadn't let myself really think about the warnings --our office was too busy for worrying or hand-wringing. Now I'm alone and I feel a little overwhelmed. Not nervous. Not scared. Just overwhelmed.

Times like this, I sometimes think of Anne Lamott and her suggestion to take things "bird by bird." In her book by that title, she recounts a story about her brother when he was 10. Though he'd had three months to complete a report on birds, he hadn't cracked a book until the night before it was due. He was "immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead," as we all often are. And his father told him, "Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird."

So I guess all we can do is take it hour by hour, day by day, bird by bird.

Or, in the case of the blanket I've been making for Jonathan since 2004, square by square. How comforting a memorized pattern can be! So mindless. I've made about 4,000 squares for this afghan and have about 3,888 to go. (Really, I've made 17 and have 13 to go.)



It's going to be so mod and funky when completed. And I will complete it.

I'm chipping away at several other projects right now. I'm working on a not-so-shrunken cardigan from Knit and Tonic. It's really not worth showing off. (Yahaira started it in the same color waaaaay before me anyway, so check out hers instead. I'm so ashamed!)

In keeping with my raglan madness, I'm whipping up a mint green baby sweater for my friend's new little one, Daniel. (I already gave her a crocheted blanket, so I think it's OK if I take my time on this one.) I want to put some cute buttons on it, like little cars or something, not to be too gender specific.



And this might seem ridiculous, but I'm suddenly DYING to make a clapotis. I know, I know, could I be any later to the party on this one? I always liked it, but now I'm captivated. Swoon! Only I can't afford (or reconcile) the Lorna's Lace, and my eyes are completely glossing over looking at blog after blog and message board after message board about substitute yarns. (There are TOO MANY options!) Gentle readers, have any of you used a less expensive yarn and had similarly spectacular results? I'm dying here!

16 Comments:

Blogger Kym said...

How about one of the sock yarns from KnitPicks for your clapotis? Like sock garden (I think that's the name)- that series has some great colors.

1:38 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

hey nice cardie! ;P

hrm, Im not sure about the Clapotis since I seem to be suffering the same way, too many yarn choices to even think straight. On craftster though I saw someone use 3 hanks of hanpaintedyarn.com lace tripled. It looked awesome and she said she still had a ton left over of course. I was thinking of doing that

7:43 AM  
Blogger Wednesday's Child said...

Keep safe up there.

It's funny you mention the Clap thing--I literall had the same experience yesterday! I saw one on a blog and it finally clicked: 'Hey, that's pretty freakin' cool. I shall make that...'. We'll see how this one goes.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

I tried to fight the Clapotis thing but I finally gave in. I wanted the Lorna's Laces but didn't want to pay that price. Instead I decided to make a smaller version (only 4 repeats in section 3) and bought 2 skeins of undyed Andromeda yarn from www.recycledsilk.com/henrysilk2.html . It's the same stuff as the Lorna's Laces. I dyed it with a couple packs of kool-aid in the microwave. Check out my blog if you want to see it - saunshine.blogspot.com

There is also Pheonix or Oasis from Southwest Trading.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Square by square--that is the way to do it girl.

I am thinking about Clapotis too, and like Yahaira, I am eyeing that Handpaintedyarn.com. They have some amazing colorways. I just saw a finished one in one of the yarns, and my jaw dropped (Knotty Gnome Knits)

Love the raglan craze :)

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Joelene said...

I ended up useing Lornas Lace Shepard Sport,a sock yarn. 3 Hanks, it ended up being about 30 bucks. I loved the results.

You can see it here:

http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2005/4/18/clapotis-is-complete.html

It is a tough choice, there are so many yarns to choose from. Let me know if you have any questions!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Cute baby cardi...

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

I'm no help with Clapotis, as I am still trying to find something that I like the colors AND is soft enough. I'm real picky.

Very cute baby sweater and that afghan will be very cool!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Ashbloem said...

I'm using Malabrigo worsted weight and I love it. Still not super cheap, but it will be a quality wrap.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

Don't worry, girl. I just start a Clapotis too. I'm using some Cashmere/silk blend yarn I found at School products. $13.50 for 189 yards! Definitely a lot cheaper than lion and lamb.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Just to add another voice to the mix- I used Lorna's Shepherd Sock and loved it (fell in love with the yarn and thought, 'This must be the same as the pattern' since I hadn't really looked at it)- it's a bit airier than the pattern one, but I am quite partial to it. It's about 9-10 per skein.

O, and the Malabrigo is the exact same yarn as the stuff on handpaintedyarn.com, but a bit pricier. Knitters Review said it themselves. (My friend Lauren clued me in to this.)

Hope you're taking care of yourself and letting yourself unwind. Love the square, can't wait to see more!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

oh I've been wanting to clap for quite sometime!!!! We should start a knit along!!

I feel so out of the loop, but what was the link to the circular shrug awesomeness that you made again? I'm flying to the east coast & want something to work on :D

also, what is the warning in N.Y.?!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I, too, have sudden Clapotis envy, and desperately want to make one. I have NO IDEA what yarn I am going to use, but it has been added to the "things I MUST make" list.

The baby sweater? Adorable! I love the color. And I cannot wait to see the afghan all assembled.

Hang in there...I am sure everything will be fine, and settle down in a few days.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I hate these subway warnings, they say it's specific yet they don't give us any details...frustrating to say the least. But really, the warnings don't matter much since unless I want to be out of a job, I have to take the train everyday regardless of security alert color! Oh man you've got me thinking of Clapotis now too!! Thanks for the yarn compliment on my blog!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

I didn't use Lorna's Laces *drool* for mine. I used some other kind of wool. The pic that I had of my Clapotis did no justice so I took it down. I have to take a new one. Try something from Knitpicks. Their stuff is good without being pricy. Yeah, the fun fur they sent me was gro-ooos. I don't know what I'm going to do with it :(

9:47 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I'm about to make another clapotis - I just cant resist it. And it makes great mindless subway knitting, especially in these stressful subway riding times.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home