new banner

Sunday, October 30, 2005

The people have spoken

So there will be more pix of my completed clapotis! (The fact that the knit blog public has an insatiable thirst for clapotis pictures really speaks to this pattern's staying power.)

I simply could not remember to take a picture outside during daylight hours. Guess I was too busy napping, watching political coverage on CNN, standing in front of my parents' fridge and napping again. So I picked what seemed like the perfect spot for a portrait -- my mom's little sitting area. Holy huge smile.






And here is a more stately and genteel shot of the clapotis turned the "wrong way," how Kate Gilbert prefers it to look.





Lastly, here she is alllll stretched out.



Finally, I see what all the fuss is about. I really loved this pattern. I didn't get bored, didn't find the repeats interminable. All the stitch markers sometimes made my head spin, but I'm already starting another. And this one -- are you reading Yahaira? -- is for my dear mother. She's a French teacher, so she loves the idea of the pattern's Francophile roots.

Mom and I decided to go on a search together for the perfect clapotis yarn. You may recall that there is but one yarn store in my hometown, save for JoAnn's, and that I had somehow been unable to find it during previous visits. I suppose it is hard to locate -- if you somehow manage to miss the GIANT SHEEP outside. Yeah, we're not so swift.



It's called Knit Wits, and this is a just a stellar store. One of the proprietors, Marianne, was so delightful and friendly. We talked about knitcasts and swifts and the yarn harlot's visit to their store -- it was like meeting an old friend. I didn't wear my clapotis into the store because I thought that was a little amateur hour, but after she wound my mom's yarn, I ran out to get it. When's the last time you felt that comfy at a yarn store?

Mom settled on a handpainted wool called Fienneans Rainbow made in Pennsylvania at Autumn House Farm. She chose a color called Fox Grape that reminds me simultaneously of an Aesop fable and pb & j sandwiches.



My flight landed about three hours ago, so I'm back in New York and preparing myself for work. I'm sure I'll be able to ease back in -- it's not like there will be a lot of crime news on Halloween, right?

15 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

Looks great! Thanks for satisfying our thirst. Glad to hear that your mom will no longer be cold and that you found the great appearing yarn store. Maybe they didn't have the sheep sign out till they heard about some girl blogging about the store and not finding it...maybe

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

The yarn your mom picked out is gorgeous. In fact, this entire post is gorgeous....the Clapotis turned out just beautifully.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Wow. A smile.

Apparently, you're vacation to Greensburgh worked. Excellent.

Welcome back to the big city. You missed the citywide maple-syrup smell. No, really... But I digress.

Happy halloween.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Love the Clapotis! I'm still searching for the perfect yarn for this.

2:53 PM  
Blogger legally intoxicated said...

that is the frenchiest looking yarn i have ever seen ... beautiful. dear lindy has such good taste.

we're all abuzz with the news of scalito. two new justices in one short law school career. it's like covering the cop beat on halloween.

have fun.

2:53 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

What sheep sign?

Your clapotis looks great - I definitely need to get started on another one for myself, once I finish about 8 million lingering sweater sleeves.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Beautiful clapotis, and even more beautiful smile. Screw genteel... I like it better when it looks like you're laughing! Glad to see the vacation was enjoyable and you can get back to the craziness of NYC on halloween.

4:00 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

wow, looks like you're really enjoying your clapotis! hee hee. you notice the people who make clapotis always take really fun pictures with it?
that was quite a large sheep. maybe the sheep sign was installed after they heard about people not finding the store? hmm...well, that's not so bad as some of the yarn stores here that are INSIDE buildings. i'd drive around the block several times because i thought i'd be able to see the stores from the first floor! silly me. one was on the 14th floor, and the other was on the 2nd floor towards the middle of the building. but like they say, if there's a yarn store in the neighborhood, knitters WILL find it!
can't wait to see the next clapotis! that yarn does remind me of pb&j sandwiches, though which aesop fable were you thinking of?

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

Oooh I loooove your clapotis. You look very happy with it on hehehe.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Kym said...

wow- that color looks great on a clapotis.

and wow, what a creepy anonymous clapotis comment :)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

The clapotis is beautiful and I love the yarn you got for your moms clapotis. Can't wait to see it in progress & finished.

1:39 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

well, i guess when the pattern is called "clapotis" you're bound to get some gross, anonymous commenters.

1:52 AM  
Blogger michelleknits said...

Your clapotis looks great! Hooray for finding a nice yarn store, too!

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should tell all your fans that we were looking for the yarn store on the WRONG road at first!! I love the pb&j comparison, but will it inhibit me from putting on my clapotis when you finish it???
P.S. I like how you personify the clapotis with a feminine subject pronoun! (Even though the word is masculine in French.) Bises, Maman

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home