new banner

Monday, October 03, 2005

Knit-Out ... of their minds!

We all know that knitters are nuts. We try to make our own clothes. We try to make clothes for our friends and family. And we try to convince ourselves that this is all perfectly normal. As Dave Barry is quoted as saying in the Yarn Harlot's book, "There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'"

Still, I was blown away by the MADNESS that was the Knit-Out in Union Square. There were thousands of people pushing and shoving for anything that was free, even if it was only a Red Heart catalog or a leaflet pattern for basic garter stitch scarf knit on, like, size 40 needles.

But my friend Shannon and I braved it briefly nonetheless. (We left after a while to go shoe shopping.) My goal was to meet knitting celebrities, like maybe that red-headed model who is all of the Interweave magazines. (Who the heck is she?) So naturally, the highlight of the day was meeting the Lion Brand Lion and thanking him for the creation of Fun Fur!



Just kidding. I really wanted to snap a photo with Vickie Howell, host of Knitty Gritty on DIY network. I know that I'm crazy and a loser for seeking her out, but I really enjoy the show. It's like hosting a little knitting circle in my studio apartment. She was emceeing a fashion show (with lots of Fun Fur) and seemed to be hidden from the general public. So I used my super sleuth reporter skills to locate her behind the stage and grab her for a quick photo. I'm sure she thought I was insane.



There were a lot of nasty knit and crochet items -- like a man in a brown, faux suede poncho sending emails on his blackberry -- but as Shannon said, it just isn't "in the knitting spirit" to poke too much fun. But mostly, I loved seeing all the hard work people put into their items. During the amateur fashion show, a woman displayed this totally awesome afghan made from yarn scraps that knocked my socks off. Shannon didn't feel the need to go up on stage but privately showed me the super soft, super cute lap blanket she is making from "Weekend Knits."



Afterwards, Jonathan and I celebrated our two-year (dating) anniversary at Cafe des Artistes on the Upper West Side, which made me feel like old money. Then he had to leave this morning to cover the Yankees in Anaheim. Sigh.

I'm working on 85 projects right now, which I will show later this week. But I will leave you with a fantastic example of the Dumbest Thing I Did All Week. So I bought a package of Rite Aid brand meal replacement shakes to drink for breakfast before I go to the gym. I was lifting them over my head Saturday to put them in a high cupboard. Naturally, one fell out and slammed right into my face. It struck my lip, and I instantly tasted blood. The pain and shock stunned me in the truest sense of the word, plus I feared that I'd lose a tooth. Luckily, the swelling stopped and it's only a little cut. So, so stupid.

17 Comments:

Anonymous lisa said...

Looks like you had a great time at the Knit-Out. I hate crowds way too much to go through there just for the free hand-outs, but I might have gone if I had known the Knitty Gritty host were going to be there! Cute pic of the two of you.

And don't worry - we all have our D'oh moments!

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Aww, we are going to have a Knit in the City event in Pasadena, but I have to go to a wedding. I seriously might sneak over to the event before the wedding though. So.Jealous.

Can't wait to see those knitted projects!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous marie out of florida in texas said...

all right i'll match you dumbest moments; last week i put the clothes in the top loading washer put in the soap powder and "turnt" it on only to discover the heretofore unknown to me existance of a top loading ....dryer???? omg!
this is your give a little pal marie; i've moved out of florida into texas

ps i really really want to make that circle shrug? where the heck is the pattern?

4:24 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

you had the chance to beat up the lion brand lion and you didnt?! you show remarkable restraint.

sounds like fun, if not an insane event. fun fur fashion show? yum

4:40 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That's so cool you met Vickie Howell - great photo!

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a lot of fun, wasn't it? :)
Next year, come walk on the wild side and visit with us crocheters; it would be fun to meet!
~CrochetWithDee

5:01 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

like, WOW. i wish they had something like that here in Hawaii...i guess if it were colder here, we would. *sigh* would've been awesome to take a pic with knitting celebrities...like the lion brand lion! great photos! and i stapled my finger once. i was playing with the stapler, stuck my finger in the jaws and pressed down...i was in shock, and when i replayed the events in my head immediately afterward, it felt like i was just standing there watching someone staple her finger. hah, that couldn't have been farther from the truth. it actually hurts more when you pull the staple out than when it actually goes in.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

how fun!!! that looked neat!!
I'm sorry about your lip, if it makes you feel any better, I opened my freezer two nights ago without glasses on & smashed the door into my nose & I now have two black eyes. In class this morning several people asked if Eric beat me...how sad.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

hey, i was at the knit out as well. only for a little bit. the pushing and the shoving got on my nerves after a little while.

looks like you had a fun time though. sorry i missed you. would have at least said hi.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

Did you see the lady with the lime green knitted (or crochet) suit? I'm glad that you got your pic! Makes all the shoving worth it. The funny for me was that the crowds seemed to be coming from one direction. Me and my friend decide to start from where they're coming from. As soon as we did that, they started coming from the opposite direction LOL. Never again :-D

7:06 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

great photos of the Knit Out! unfortunately I am going to miss the one ni DC this year... I liked last year's. I love the one with you and the lion! :)

9:32 AM  
Anonymous shannon said...

I always have a fun time with you. I just got a restraining order in the mail from a Ms. V. Howell tho. Should I be concerned??

p.s. I'm having trouble finding the circle shrug pattern, too. Can you post a link?

6:54 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

How many of these Knit-Outs are there across the country? I heard about one in Boston, but was told it wasn't that fabulous. I mean, who has a knitting related festival with vendors WHO DON'T SELL YARN? I hope the NYC people weren't so dumb.

Cute picture with the Knitty Gritty host. I might have to get a television just to watch the show and see why everyone loves it so much!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

holy crap- i love that you have a picture with the lion. does anyone remember when those people beat up that guy in the mall who was making an appearance as Barney? you could have been part of an angry mob chasing after the lion:)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I'm just surprised the Lion isn't wearing his Martha Poncho.

Sounds like you had a blast!!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

If it helps any, I think that if I were Vickie Howell, I'd be really psyched that people were such a fan of the show as to seek me out...It means she'll probably get to have a job a lot longer :)

And if it further helps...I'd probably go looking for her too!

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Georgia said...

Well, Knit-Out looks a little crazy, but crazy can be good. And you are not crazy for wanting a picture with Vickie Howell, who wouldn't?

I just love all your recent knits. The scarf is fabulous and I'm desperate to make that shrug pattern. I know you probably have it posted clearly already, but could you provide a direct link to the pattern or email it to me (georgiacoleman@hotmail.com)? By the way is it a free pattern?

And thanks for the sweet comment on my blog, I love yours!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home