new banner

Friday, October 21, 2005

Getaway

Perhaps in the history of vacations, one has never been as well timed as mine next week. Work was driving me bananas, and I became unbearable and exasperating and impossible to be around. (You know what's so irritating about news? It just never stops. Never. It keeps coming and coming. Even when you want to go home and work on your clapotis.)

So tomorrow I'm heading to see my parents for a luxurious week. Embarrassingly, half of my suitcase is filled with projects that I expect to complete while away. You know how the revered Yarn Harlot talks about SABLE -- Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy? Well, my suitcase illustrates what I'll not-so-cleverly call PELT -- Projects Exceed Length of Trip.



(Aren't my captions fab?) Anyway, cross your fingers because I'm flying Independence Air, which I'm antsy about. I've never flown one of these start-up airlines. I'm clinging to the fact that it's the official airline of the Washington Redskins.

My mom and I are going to attempt once again to find the first and only yarn store in my hometown. What's strange is that it doesn't seem to exist. We drove by the address last time I was home and couldn't find it. Then mom looked again on her own, and still couldn't find it. It's as though I'm willing it to appear.

And, because I can't resist a trend, I'm tackling the meme that is sweeping the knitblog ring. You type "(your name) needs" into Google and get the alarming results:

Carrie needs more than deep-breathing exercises
Carrie needs everything
Carrie needs someone to show her the opportunities available to enhance her life
Carrie needs her parents permission to join the group
Carrie needs to get to the hospital
Carrie needs warmer clothing
Carrie needs to shut up
Carrie needs to follow in her friends’ Manolo Blahniked footsteps and grow up.
Carrie needs to go home and tend to the chickens and milk some cows
Carrie needs to survive floating ice platforms suspended in nothingness to get to the top
Carrie needs to have makeup and be airbrushed to hell
Carrie needs to be put on paid leave to conduct the investigation.
And, appropriately,
Carrie needs a vacation

14 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

Have a great vacation! I definitely have PELT travelling issues. But with a potentially nonexistent yarn store in your town, you really cant be too careful.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

Have fun on your trip. If your visit with you parents is anything like mine was, you'll need all the different projects. My parents were so happy to see me they always wanted to do something. Some projects are good for the car, others for few minutes of late night knitting,etc.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Have fun!!

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Have a great trip! I'll be on vaycay starting on Monday. Woo hoo, Italy and Spain, here I come.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

Have a fun trip. Take pics! What WIP's are you working on?q

3:30 PM  
Blogger Wednesday's Child said...

Have fun at home, and make sure you tend to the chickens and milk the cows and such!

3:33 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

haha! it's so easy for a knitter to get carried away when packing knitting for a trip. almost like you need a separate suitcase for it all, no? of course, that wouldn't be right; you'd have to pack it in a carry-on because gawd FORBID they lose that suitcase! :P
enjoy your vacation and i hope you find that ever elusive yarn store!

3:47 PM  
Anonymous frecklegirl said...

haha... PELT! I love it!!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More pictures of bears, please! Or, geese.

6:49 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

i really like the yarn you chose for your clapotis. i did a solid color and it is nice, but sometimes i wish i had some variation in there! hope you have a good time off! as far as knitting 2 sleeves at one time, i dont know if there is a tutorial but it goes like this: cast on one sleeve onto a longer circular needle with one ball of yarn. then cast on the other sleeve with another ball on the same needle. then you just keep going back and forth the whole way until you are done! it does get a little tangly, but not too bad. i thought it was more complicated than it sounded until i just tried it.

1:33 AM  
Blogger legally intoxicated said...

i kid you not... i did the same google search and number 4 was:

"legallyintoxicated needs to realize that despite the disappointing action, she is still deserving of friendship."

i so need to call you.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Have a great trip!!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

Have a wonderful relaxing and knitting filled trip. I love PELT, I must admit I am plagued by it as well.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous jess said...

heh! isn't it funny how certain names bring up excessive references to certain famous people and/or fictional characters? i'll bet you had a ton of sex in the city hits, a la the manolo blahniks. i'm pretty sure a good number of my hits (esp. those re: FHM and breast enhancement) had to do with Jessica Simpson or Jessica Alba.

enjoy your vacation... better to be PELT than sorry :)

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home