new banner

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Another finished object by the selfish, selfish knitter

Just as soon as I finished my not-so-shrunken cardigan, autumn's chill blew into New York and the biblical rains subsided. Which means it was suddenly cold enough to wear this little number and dry enough to take photos in Central Park. Coincidence, or knitting kismet?



* Many thanks to long-suffering boyfriend/official every word's a purl photographer, Jonathan. We took these pictures after viewing the Emancipation Proclamation at the Historical Society, and I feel a little shallow having asked him to take 45 photos of me in my new sweater. (Ok, it was the preliminary draft of the proclamation, but the real one burned in the Chicago fire, so this is as close as it gets. And can you believe that people actually tried to CUT IN LINE to see the Emancipation Proclamation? C'mon!)



This was a fun, relaxing knit. And I'll definitely wear it a lot -- I'm just a cardigan gal. In fact, I think I'll wear it to work tomorrow. Isn't it a little reporter chic? I lengthened the body a good deal, and I crocheted one row of ruffles, though I might be persuaded to add a second.

About the yarn -- it's elsebeth lavold Silky Wool, and I just didn't love it. It's OK, but it doesn't feel great or fun or lovely. I'm looking for a substitute if I knit this for my mother. (Oh, my poor mom. Will she ever get a finished sweater?) And be forewarned -- I knit the smallest size, added a few extra rows and still had two skeins left over. I feel bad returning it since my LYS doesn't seem to be in good financial shape, but I just don't think I'll ever use it.


I have crocheted several more squares for Jonathan's birthday afghan that is more than a year in the making. And I've been whittling away on my friend's baby sweater. But how could I resist starting clapotis? The yarn arrived Saturday, and I was beside myself giddy.

Yes, I know I should be knitting presents, and yes, I know this looks like it caught on fire. But I think once the stitches get dropped, it will look less like a conflagration and more like a yummy scarf.



And I have a confession for everyone who went to the Sheep and Wool fest. I'm jealous. Super jealous. Magenta jealous. And I hate being that way, so instead I'll live vicariously through your blogs. Maybe next year!

20 Comments:

Blogger Lolly said...

It is so pretty! It looks great on you--very wearable in any season! ;)

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Cute sweater! Love it! Is that the Knit & Tonic pattern? And you should definitely come to Rhinebeck next year! It's good fun.

9:29 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

looks great on you! Im jealous! how did you end up blocking it? nooo, just one ruffle! its a little twee with two.
possible subs for your mom: debbie bliss alpaca silk, blue sky alpaca, and umm Ill think of another one. I havent worked on my xmas presents either if that makes you feel better

9:35 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

It looks great - and I love the color!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

The cardi looks great on you!! Lolly is right... so pretty!

And I love the way your Clapotis is coming along - I never saw one done with Sock Garden (I did follow your links - that one WAS hideous - definite trip to the frog pond, that one) and I do like the way your colors are showing up. Can't wait to see it once you start dropping the stitches!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

your shrunken cardigan looks great! fabulous color on you. I'm also finding that the silky wool grows in yardage somehow, not sure how as I also ended up with a ball extra on my project.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

I love your sweater Carrie! I really do. So cute. The color you and Yahaira picked is great. I have seamed both the shoulders and one sleeve of my cardi. The right way too...no half-assing about it. I am so proud of myself. Nothing like seaming with good company though. My pal Vickery and her kitten, Sake. Good times!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Glad the sweater worked out well for you!

I'd go with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. Isn't that about the same gauge? Or maybe the Elsebeth Llavold says it is a larger gauge, but I think it lies.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Wednesday's Child said...

Fantastic sweater. I'm a big fan of the not-shortened variety myself, so I'd do the same. You'll have to let me know if Clappy is hard or not. I'm itching to make one, but have to find a good cotton yarn alternative first. Any hints?

2:28 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

that cardi is great! it looks so cozy.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

I love it! It looks great on you, and the color is beautiful. I know what you mean though...the knitting isn't as fun if the yarn doesn't have good touch. How does it feel when you wear it?

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Iraida said...

I looove the sweater. Looks really good on you! I couldn't go to the wool and sheep festival neither. I was soooo bummed out but I've made a vow to myself to go next year. With a crapload of money. Maybe we should get a bunch of crazy obsessed NY'ers and go together

1:49 PM  
Blogger Carrieoke said...

It looks beautiful! Congrats on such a great finished sweater. And there's always next year for the Sheep and Wool Fest!!!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

Your cardigan looks great. The color looks nice on you.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

I love it, and it's such a nice color too! You are not the only one who is jealous, I wish I could have gone. Next year I will definately clear my schedule for it.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Love the cardie! I think I am going to try to knit that with the alpaca I just got... It is so cute on you!

You say you knit the smallest size? I am not sure which one to go with...

You must come to Rhinebeck next year- how about Maryland?! :)

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

oh and if it makes you feel any better, I pretty much only knit for myself...

oops!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Great projects! And hi fellow New Yorker!

12:21 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Aww, your Not So Shrunken Cardi turned out so cute. I love that color. And it looks like you got the fit just right! :)

4:42 PM  
Blogger uglyagnes said...

Your Cardigan came out great. I think i'm going to just do one ruffle as well.. I really like the color you chose! I was wondering, how many inches long did you go with?

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home