new banner

Friday, September 09, 2005

Sooo?

Whaddya think?



(With apologies to High Energy Jenny and Carrieoke, who already shrugged over shrugs on high energy's blog. And with apologies to everyone else because I look like a goof.)

This is the Hot Lava cardigan from Blue Alvarez. I've loved some of the other versions floating out there in blogland, but mine is only so-so. It doesn't seem long enough to be a cardigan, and I think there is too much material behind my neck. Itchy!

I'm also not wild about the back of it. The top and bottom sections are just SO vastly different from one another that I think it's a little too drastic.



Perhaps my disenchantment is related more to the fact that it's still too hot to wear something made of Manos del Uruguay. Perhaps when the fahrenheit dips, I'll be thrilled to have such a cozy garment.

In other shrug news, I'm cruising on the circular shrug cooperatively designed over at Craftster. I think I'm honestly suffering from shrug fatigue. This one will have to be the end of it. Holiday knitting will have to take priority over mini-sweaters of every type. The shrug ban is hereby reinstated!

I was tagged by both A Knitter in Queens and Kym at Stix and the City. So here goes!

TEN YEARS AGO:
I was a sophomore at the University of Maryland, working day and night at the campus newspaper, the Diamondback. I wore corduroy overalls and clogs, and I didn't own a hairdryer. I also hadn't started drinking coffee yet. More interestingly, I actually worked with Jayson Blair at the paper. But that's a whole other post ...

FIVE YEARS AGO:
I was working as a reporter at the New Haven Register up in Connecticut, covering public housing, homelessness and social services. But I was kinda getting itchy to move on. I wouldn't start crocheting for another year, and I wouldn't start knitting for almost two more years. How the heck was I spending my time?

ONE YEAR AGO:
I was moving from Manhattan to Queens so that I would be closer to my newspaper's Long Island bureau, where I was assigned to work. (Little did I know that I'd be back working in Manhattan a few months later, so the move was for naught.) Anyway, I do love my little spot in Sunnyside, which is really an adorable neighborhood. I was also adjusting to having a car in New York City, and I think I had just started crocheting a blanket for Jonathan that I still haven't finished.

FIVE SNACKS:
We'll go with the decadent snacks because who wants to hear about grape and Granny Smith apples? Harvest cheddar Sun Chips, Tostitos with a hint of lime, Veggie chips, any kinda pretzels, and I never allow myself to eat them, but Lays cheddar and sour cream. (I'm more into salty than sweet snacks.)

FIVE SONGS I KNOW ALL THE WORDS TO:
I'll pick the embarrassing ones, just for kicks. Who cares that I know the Beatles, right?
"Hit Me Baby ..." by Britney
"99 Problems" by Jay-Z
"Carrie" by Europe
"Any Way You Want It" by Journey
"Lost in Love" by Air Supply

FIVE THINGS I WOULD DO WITH $100 MILLION:
That's really the only way I'll afford to buy property in New York, so I'd do that.
I'd get a nice place up here for my parents, too.
I'd pick a charity that I really believe in, maybe something for stroke victims, like my dad. Or something to support organ donation or children with down syndrome. Or homeless teens. I guess that's not too specific.
I'd go to Slovakia and see where my ancestors lived.
Sadly, I probably couldn't resist throwing out all my stinkin' clothes and starting fresh!

FIVE PLACES TO RUN AWAY TO:
I used to love the back swing at my parents house, nestled below a dying apple tree near a creek. There's also my childhood bedroom.
Jon and I have run up to Connecticut for a day, just to flee the city, like Norwalk and Westport.
There are lots of little spots at Central Park that often feel like another world.
Gosh, I wish I had more spots.

FIVE THINGS I WOULD NEVER WEAR:
Tapered-leg pants
Fur
I guess animal prints in general
Platform shoes (though I have in the past)
A Yankees shirt

FIVE FAVORITE TV SHOWS:
What Not to Wear
Anderson Cooper 360
Mary Tyler Moore
Friends
Seinfeld

FIVE BIGGEST JOYS:
My parents and family
My boyfriend
My cousin's triplets
Completing something that I can take pride in, whether it's a tricky article or a tricky knitting project
Reading and napping are tied

FAVORITE TOYS:
Knitting needles, laptop, digital camera, cell phone, ipod

FIVE PEOPLE TO PASS THIS ON TO: Has anyone NOT done this? I think nearly everyone has. If not, you're tagged by me!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:11 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I can't really tell, but I think it looks cute : )

8:05 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I think the sweater looks cute - I'm sure you'll like it more when the weather cools off.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

I like it, Carrie! I dunno, I guess it's hard to tell.

I'll be anxious to see how your circular shrug comes together, because I would like to make one too, but I am sort of nervous. You may inspire me...

11:43 AM  
Blogger Carrieoke said...

I love it! I think it looks great!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

It's a cute shrug, but I can see your issues with it. That is a lot of itchy manos in the back. And the back looks much longer than the front. Hmmm. If it were me, I'd wait and see if I ended up wearing it, and if not, rip it out and reuse the yarn!

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

oooo carrrrrrrrrieeeee its fine! I finally just now looked at the pattern & I've been debating making it...how difficult is the whole "magic loop" stuff? I'm pretty sick right now so I want kinda sorta brainless knitting (case in point, I'm knitting a PONCHO. A PONCHO! HA!)

but I think the sealer of the deal of our friendship is your refusal to wear a yankees shirt :D

12:14 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

It looks really good on you!

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home