new banner

Monday, September 26, 2005

Reheating your leftovers

I don't throw anything out, and I hate to waste. Just ask my co-workers, who saw me grab a bag of potato chips off the top of the trash last week. (Dude, they were bbq flavored and they were on top of old newspapers!)

Since I'm a notorious cheapskate, I decided to put my leftover yarn from the circular shrug to good use. And I kinda wanted a quick hit, so I whipped up the flora scarf from the fall Knitty. I double stranded the Simply Soft and finished this in a jiffy. It's cute and toasty, but the finishing was kind of a nightmare. Lots of ends to weave, and lots of yarn twisting for the little stamens in the middle. (Thank you, sixth grade biology.) And you have to sew on several buttons. I feel like there has to be a better way, but I think it's cute and should temporarily satisfy my autumnal desire for new scarves.




And here it is, sans my neck.



I've noticed that since I've been knitting more maniacally, I've been reading a lot less. I know there are some folks who can do both, but certainly not me. So this past week, I tried to up my book intake out of fear of becoming an illiterate plebe. I picked up a book by my former New Haven Register co-worker, Karen Olson. It's called "Sacred Cows," and it's about a reporter at New Haven's daily newspaper unravelling a murder mystery. I finished it in one day. Perhaps because I'm narcissistic and like reading about crime reporters and my old home, but also because it's just a really compelling story and so much fun.

So I stopped by Barnes and Noble today and picked up two more books:



That's the Yarn Harlot's "At Knit's End: Meditations for Women who Knit Too Much" and Pulitzer Prize winning crime reporter Edna Buchanan's "The Corpse Had a Familiar Face." Yeah, they kind of sum up my life.

And for those of you who don't mind being totally grossed out, jump on over to
Anne Marie's knitting blog. She's experimenting in home mole removal. I'm not kidding, and it's not for the faint of heart.

18 Comments:

Blogger keohinani said...

omg, i got the yarn harlot book for my birthday and it easily became one of my favorites. it's hilarious!!! i read some passages aloud to my bf so he knows to intervene should this hobby consume me. hee hee. i hope you enjoy the book as much as i have. :)
i like your scarf! it's pretty. what color is that caron simply soft that you're using? it doesn't look like victorian rose...they had victorian rose at the place i bought my yarn at, but i really don't think it's the same color as your pink yarn. hmmm....

4:33 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Cheapskates unite! Great use of the leftovers--that scarf is adorable! and just in time for the cooler temperatures ;)

9:46 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

very nice scarf! i wouldnt have the patience for all those ends! thanks for the comment on my site. ive never been to a renegade before, so it was pretty exciting. its nice to know some people too!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

CARRIE! The scarf is awesome. I am inspired. Of course, after I f-n' finish all my other stuff.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Cute scarf - I've been eyeing that one myself. Thanks for the warning about the many ends to weave in!

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

What a cute little scarf!

I hear you with the reading and the knitting dilemma. I've been practicing knitting without looking, but I'm not ready to try reading and knitting at the same time.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

great leftover scarf! I didn't even see the pattern in my first perusal, but seeing yours makes me want to take a second look.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

Love your Flora! I didn't even think of using Simply Soft for it. And yeah, since beginning knitting a few years back, my reading level has dropped considerably. It makes me sad too, like my intelligence has seriously dropped.

4:10 PM  
Blogger legally intoxicated said...

love it love it love it. can i put it on my christmas list? which reminds me,... i owe you a t-shirt.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

oooh, I love the scarf!! I didn't like it in the knitty photo for some reason, but yours is adorable.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

wow, what a great scarf. i was totally unimpressed when I first saw it on knitty but I love, love, love your version. Very nice job.

10:44 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

WOW you're knits are great! I love your flora scarf, UO shrug, and hot lava cardigan!!! I have had my eye on those lately, and you have them ALL on your blog. You are so prolific! I read that you live in Queens- I lived in Queens for 20 years! It was the first 20 years, so a quarter of them probably don't count, but still. I live in Arizona now, but maybe we can knit together when I come back to visit my family. People here laugh at me because I "summer" in Queens. Not the most exotic place in the world.

I hope you enjoyed the novel I just wrote to you :)

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats really cute on you; i might have to try one for my own cute daughter
marie in florida

8:15 PM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

Very nice.

I can only wonder what would happen if you used you powers for good, instead of for the forces of evil.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

Your Flora scarf is cute. Now I have an idea of what to do with all my leftovers.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Wednesday's Child said...

Fabulous scarf. Thanks for the help with the UO top as well. I saw one this morning on campus and now I am totally committed to making my own. Silly college students, they don't realize how cheap they can have one!!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

AHHHHH Carrrrrrrrrieeeeeee!!! I've missed you so!!!
I just saw that you finished the circular urban outfitters thingy & I ADORE IT! Would you mind sending me a link or explaining the pattern for it?? I have some bright blue cotton that I would love to use up but I want something simple to knit so I can bring it to school & not have to worry about!
I LOVE this scarf. So cute. I'm debating making one as well, was it hard at all? (Notice a trend? I'm gravitating towards lazy knitting!!)

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that scarf is a must have. (hint, Hint!)
You are da bomb. - Dina

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home