new banner

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Knitting funk



I fashioned a question mark out of Manos because I dunno what to do about my Hot Lava Cardian. I spent a ton on the yarn, finished it up in about two weeks, but I simply do not love it. The construction of the garment is unique and ingenious -- unfortunately, you couldn't really try it on or measure it as you went. It's not that any part of it is too small or too big. It's more that it just looks a little funky. I'm not crazy about the spine down the back, and stitches go in so many different directions that it's distracting. (Not sure if I'm putting that properly into words.)

I tried blocking it to shrink the back a tad and stretch the bodice, but it doesn't lie flat and, as the pattern even says, it gets its shape from your body. So trying traditional blocking didn't do the trick. I'll have someone take a pic of me in it soon and you folks can help me decide. Maybe it just needs to grow on me. Or maybe it's still to warm to try on finished objects in wool.

Since I spent so much on hot lava yarn, and considering all of the terrible things going on in our country right now, I really don't feel right rushing out and buying tons of pretty yarn for a new project. It just seems like a time to enjoy what we have and not be such blatant consumers. So I dove into my stash and started working on this:



Yes, yes, it's a shrug. I gave in. I'm too weak to resist the pull of the shrug.

I really dig the idea of using a cute vintage pattern, but no sooner did I cast on than I began questioning my choice. Folks over at Craftster have been trying to come up with the ultimate circular shrug, and Keridiana whipped up a prototype that someone just transformed into a beautiful little number. Doh!

My boyfriend and I visited his family up in Massachusetts, so I got some quality knitting time in during the drive and a few hours on the beach in Nashua, N.H. (I did not knit during the Red Sox game. But the weather was resplendent, as was the company, so it was O.K.) Here's my progess thusfar:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Skylar said...

Let's see it Carrie. Maybe we'll have an idea about the Hot Lava cardi...I bet it's gorgeous. Can you gift it to someone?

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

I agree, show us the cardi.

But if you do hate it, rip it out and wait until something better comes along to re-use the yarn.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Oh - Can't wait to see your progress. I am going back and forth on whether to try this project for myself. I was so excited about it, but I'm getting buried under UFO's and my list of to-do's. Are you going by the Craftser tutorial or the Yesterknits pattern?

5:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

Can't wait to see your progress, either! I LOVE the Crafster version...I wondered how it would turn out in practice after I saw the theory.

11:40 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

Im sure the hot lava is not as bad as you say, though if you hate it then rip it and save the yarn for something else as ms purly said.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hi! just found your blog, and it is cute! I started on that same Vintage Knits bolero/shurg. I have not picked it up in a few weeks, but I hope to again soon. It is so cute! I can't wait to see how yours works up.

Take care~
Lolly

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

EEEEEEEKKKKK! That vintage pattern is adorable. I agree with everyone else (I'm such a follower...!) show us the cardi, maybe we can help. I'm sure it turned out perfect though.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

Hi Miss Carrie!!!
Show it! YOU MUST! Even if it's terrible (which it wont be!!! Because you looked splendid in lelah and I haven't seen anyone yet that looked good in it!!!) we will help you make something even more amazing!!!!

Where is your boyfriend family from in Mass? I grew up in Peabody : D

12:34 AM  
Blogger Kym said...

You've been tagged! :)

I can't wait to see your shrug- did you see the similar pattern in the new Knitty?

The questions are here:

http://stixandthecity.blogspot.com/2005/09/ill-take-blame-game-for-200-alex.html

You're it- have fun!

1:03 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

dude, what is your email? I always try to get back to you but I dont know how then I have to answer here like a dork with no one else knowing what the hell Im talking about! lol

5:17 PM  
Anonymous jshaw6 said...

Could you share the pattern for the vintage shrug? I've requested this from Yesterknits, but still haven't heard from them.

Thanks

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home