new banner

Friday, September 09, 2005

fickle knitter

Inanimate objects have feelings. I'm completely convinced of this, and always have been. I feel bad for the taupe corduroy blazer that I shun in my closet, always opting for a darker tan version that fits better. I hate parking my car in crappy neighborhoods because I feel like I'm abandonning the poor thing. And I recently pulled an old teddy bear out of my closet because, well, what's sadder than a old teddy bear in a closet? (Did anybody else cry during "Toy Story 2" when they sang about the doll who was hidden under the bed? No? It was just me? Um, oh well.)

So now I have to worry about all of my rejected knitting projects.

Just last week, I cast on for the Yesterknit bolero/shrug. But I was quickly distracted by the new gal in town -- Julsey's version of the circular shrug, as designed by Keridiana. I tried to shake it off and forge forward with the Yesterknits pattern, but the pull was too strong. I was a smitten knitten.

I cast on for the circular shrug, making a few modifications for size but using the same cheap-o Simply Soft that Julsey used so beautifully. Just when I thought I was becoming a yarn snob, I returned to my skinflint roots. But acrylic has a certain appeal, no?



Poor Yesterknits shrug.

And I'm still planning on posting some pix of Hot Lava -- I simply refuse to post a picture that I take myself in my bathroom mirror, and, sadly, I don't have anyone to take it for me until this weekend. (I work evenings, if I haven't mentioned that before, and I sincerely doubt my police sources will indulge me in taking photos of finished objects. I think I'd lose whatever amount of street cred I have, which is probably none.)

I also totally bit Knit and Tonic's rhyme -- did I just type that? -- and purchased my very own, personalized stitch markers. She featured a link to Zephyr Style on her site, and I instantly purchased a set of five. It felt unbelievably decadent -- I've only used generic stitch markers in the past. But how could I resist the little coffee beans and coffee cups? They have little coffee cozies on them, for heaven's sake. I've only gone without coffee once in the past six years, and that was when I was undergoing surgery. Yeah, I know that means I'm an addict.




I think this post reads a little like I've had too much coffee. I swear, it's been hours!

13 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Oh, I love those markers! Great buy. And yes, that was a very sad movie moment. I teared up a little.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I've been wanting to start the shrug too - it looks so easy and it's so cute. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Yeah, I want stitch markers now, too. I need them like I need a hole in the head though. And Julsey's circular shrug. I want that too. When the hell am I going to find time, and get started on holiday gifts?

11:59 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

haha, yes my stitch markers have undies on them! soo cute. theres even ruffles. i love yours too!! ive never heard of that site. dont worry about the acrylic btw, it totally works sometimes. (i am so guilty of it)

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Veronica said...

Hey Carrie,
I love your blog and enjoying reading it daily. And tag, you're it! You've been tagged for a meme. The questions are on my blog. :>

12:14 AM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

I love that shrug too. I want to make one as well, but yeah, Christmas knitting is definitely more important, unfortunately. I also want to do it in Simply Soft. I think that's the only acrylic that I absolutely ADORE.
I think like you. I often hate placing things in certain areas, because I feel bad for them. I think it comes from too many cartoons when we're kids that give us that idea. My whole childhood, I was convinced that my Barbies ran around when I left the room.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi carrie;
pleased ta meetcha! you'll be getting a knitters grab bag from me through the give a little link ; my mailing day will be tuesday. i'm happy to join in on that, it's a good anitdote to the GRIM of the daily news lately.
plus, you won't believe what i've just discoverd as useful stitch markers. fishing lure swivels, cheap, lightweight and very shiny! i met a nice fella too while i was wandering around in the guy stuff section of Walmart looking for stuff for my knitting ...lol...
i got the crochet bed jacket pattern from YesterKnits. haven't started it yet although crochet is my first love. i've always wanted to make a star shaped baby afaghan. the last one i made was round, the French Womans Shawl out of old time crochet.
marie in florida
are you ready for the new DVD of Toy Story? i know i am.

9:26 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

I know exactly what you mean--I sweet-talk the printers at work when they misbehave, whisper sweet-nothings to my computer when it's going slow, tell my baked goods, "Good luck" when I slide them into the oven . . . I figure, a little good karma never hurts!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

oh you are wonderful!
I always feel so guilty when I go to thrift stores & I see mounds & mounds of stuffed animals, like I want to buy them all & tell them its ok. 2 summers ago I decided to part with a few of mine & I literally cried when the donation people where taking them from the house, how bad is that?!

your top is coming out great so far! I can't wait to see it done because I'll admit, I love the simply soft :D Those stitch markers are VERY wonderful. I went a really really long time without coffee (hidden secret, I love dunkin donuts & we don't have one here) and recently I've been getting into gas station capps..haha. how gross am I?!

2:31 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I need those stitch markers

5:15 PM  
Anonymous marie in florida said...

imma dolt!
i meant to leave you my email address; i'm Marie in florida and you are the winner of the gift bag i offered in conncetion with Give A Little.
marie in florida
mym AT ureach dot com

6:13 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Are you a fan of the British or American version of What Not to Wear? I watch both, but I favor the Brits, hands down.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous knit chick said...

I just bought the same set (after seeing Wendy mention it on her blog). Those are just too cute (and lightweight, to boot)!

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home