new banner

Monday, September 19, 2005

circular reasoning

This is a first. I finished seaming this baby, crossed my fingers, tried it on -- then wore it straight to work. For once, I didn't need to try on 12 tops and five pairs of pants before coming up with something semi-presentable. Am I the only one who does that?



This is the view out of Jonathan's hallway window. I'm so jealous of the folks with the patio furniture on their rooftop!

As I've written before, this circular shrug was designed by committee over at Craftster as a cheaper alternative to this sweater from Urban Outfitter. This version was dreamt up by the ever-ingenious Keridiana -- essentially, it's 5 inches of 2 by 2 rib, then 20 inches of mock ribbing, then 5 inches of 2 by 2 rib. I used two skeins of Caron Simply Soft after looking at Julsey's version. For an acrylic yarn, I love this stuff. It's so shiny!

Here it is in all of its circular glory.



And here is a close-up of the shawl collar that I took (by myself) inside my filthy little office. If I look a little sleepy, it's because a lot of people were involved in unfortunate, newsworthy accidents that night. I was really workin' for the weekend at that point.




This was such a fun, relaxing, satisfying knit. I could zone out without completely screwing it up. And I think I'll definitely wear it. If you are on the fence about this pattern, I say jump right in.

Just an hour or two ago, I received a knitting goodie bag from Marie in Florida. Like a lot of bloggers, I'm supporting Give a Little, which benefits Hurricane Katrina victims. (Knitters have raised more than $87,0000 so far!) Well, the folks over there draw names every week and send out gift packages, and miraculously I won a goodie bag. I feel guilty -- you shouldn't get anything when you give something. But Marie put a lot of care into this.

She made me three cute pot holders and bought me a sheep-shaped notepad, plus some cute sock yarn!


I adore vintage patterns and books -- I'll have to photograph my collection at some point -- so I was thrilled with the books that she sent. The shawl patterns are fabulous, and I love the "Complete Book of Knitting and Crochet." (Do you see that the laughing man is helping that woman wind her yarn?) And I can FINALLY make a tam like Mary Tyler Moore tossed in the air!


Jonathan -- who may find himself winding yarn soon -- reminded me that I have abandonned my "the dumbest thing I've done all week" feature. So it's officially resurrected! On Friday, Jon was having a rough day, so I composed a sweet if really cheesy e-card for him. I know, that's so totally 1996. But it had a little teddy bear dressed as a gangster -- unfortunately, not a gangsta -- and said that i was "furever" his and other bear puns. And that wasn't even the dumb part. I sent it along, then called to see if he received it.

He hadn't. Hours later, he still hadn't. Then I came to a terrible realization -- I screwed up his email address. I basically forgot the underscore, so someone with a very similar hotmail address thinks I can't "bear" to be without them. Oops.

23 Comments:

Blogger yahaira said...

well maybe youll get a secret admirer out of that one!

love the shrug! I was going to start on mine but then I read how everyone is using 600 yds of yarn. umm I think I have a little over 300 yds of the yarn I wanted to use (its a bit chunky though, not worsted) so who knows when Ill get mine done. maybe Ill have to break down and buy some acrylic...

10:48 PM  
Anonymous jon_@getunderscore.com said...

Um, I thought that e-card was for me. Now I feel foolish. Perhaps mint-toned Tyler-Moore tam would cheer me up. Though the circular sweater seems to bring a bright cheer to your dingy office. Two please!

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really REALLY like ; shiny pink, shawl collar, how silly the shawl looks tooks on the bed and how glam! it looks on you! guess what i'm gonn do?
by the way; the pot holders are wash rags. three of my never ending washrags. i always have one on the needles. i feel famous now. LOL
marie in florida

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Love it love it love it!! It's so adorable!! I just bought some alpaca for mine, instead of the lambs pride bulky I had originally thought to use. How many yards would you say you used for yours? I have 549 yards so I hope it'll be enough. If I want mine less cropped, would I make the 2x2 ribbing longer?

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the actual intended recepient of the gangster -- again, too bad it wasn't "gangsta," featuring a bear with a "Thug Life" tatoo and lots of bling - bear card, I did appreciate getting a replacement e-card the next day. But if Carrie ever gets a response from the original, she's in serious trouble.

Meanwhile, where are my photo credits for all the pictures I've been taking for this site? I've got a career to think about it.

(Your site always makes me laugh, babe -- Jonathan)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

The circular shrug is so cute! I need to find some time to make one for me!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Love the shrug...you are so enabling me right now. I am supposed to be focused on knitting for the holidays, but this might have to weasel it's way in. And I love it in Caron Simply Soft. I suppose I can justify it, since it's cheap.

12:00 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

hot lava looks awesome, sorry its itchy :(
the circular shrug is GREAT! im so happy someone figured out the pattern. its very cool. thanks for your comments about lucky and the curtains. (i wish i had a rooftop deck too!) and im happy you started doing your dumb thing of the week, they are so hilarious!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Hee, that is funny!

I love the shrug. I've been on the fence about this, but after seeing yours, I think I might hop back on the bandwagon.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

Love the shrug. So cute and what a great color. Your story about the ecard is too funny! I wonder if you will get a response from the person who received it.

1:31 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

I.HEART.YOUR.SHRUG. do you happen to have a link or something to the pattern? cuz that would be awesome.

4:18 PM  
Blogger keohinani said...

disregard my previous comment. i did some detective work and found the craftster.org thread. thx!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

that is so cute!! i want to make one too- i like the "zone out" factor of this shrug...

7:57 PM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

I love that pattern, and I love Simply Soft. It's acrylic for those who WANT to be yarn snobs. Very pretty, you look great in it!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

That shrug looks fantastic on you... great color, great design.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wow! I love your circular shrug. Who'd a thought that 100% acrylic could look so good!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Keridiana said...

Oh it looks so nice! And I do love pink. Now I want to knit again. Baaad influence, Carrie! (Or good!)

8:41 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Oh that is gorgeous, along with the other things you've posted (I read down your main page). And that e-card thing is a trip, love how you called it so 1996.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous shannon said...

This circular shrug just might be the thing that pushes me beyond the land of blankets and scarves!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

That shrug is super cute and the color is adorable on you!

I need another WIP like I need a hole in the head but... the cuteness!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Wednesday's Child said...

This looks fantastic-perfect next project for me. Quick question: did you knit it in the T-pattern like the craftster thread suggests, or use some different shaping? I'm having so much trouble trying to picture it! Thanks.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Mayarn said...

I absolutely LOVE that top. I must make one. I'm gonna dive into my stash right now...

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home