new banner

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

She is finished!

Let's all say a hearty hello to the infamous Lelah top!



(Can you tell that behind that fence is a junkyard? I was kinda desperate for greenery. I get jealous of all the great finished object pictures taken by people in lush locales.)

As you all likely know, this is the adorable free pattern from Christine at Knitting for Boozehags. I think she is such a hilarious and authentic knit blogger -- and I love her site's redesign!

This was a fabulously fun project. I've never experimented much with lace, so I'd recommend this pattern for other first-timers. Yes, you have to pay a lot more attention to your knitting than with stockinette stitch, so you can't zone out while watching "The McLaughlin Group" or reruns of "Ten Years Younger." Not that I do either of those things. Very often.

Here's a close-up, just for kicks:


I jumped headlong into my next project -- the hot lava cardigan by Blue Alvarez Designs. Now, some of you might look at this sweater and say, "Huh, that looks like a shrug. Hasn't she made enough of those?" And yes, just a few posts back, I vowed not to make any more shrugs. But I say this is *not* a shrug! It's clearly longer than a shrug! It is definitely suitable for winter! And I'm making it anyway!

This cardigan gave me the chance to pick up some yummy Manos del Uruguay in a really alarming shade of blue. I decided to splurge on yarn since I'm working some serious overtime in the next week or so, and it's making me crabby. I picked it up at Seaport Yarn downtown, which I've never visited before and really liked. (Except for the doorman who hollered at me for not knowing that I was supposed to sign in before entering the building. He acted as though I was sneaking into a courthouse or airport. Hello, I'm headed to the YARN STORE. I guess he was protecting the building's other tenants from all the dangerous, militant knitters out there. Or maybe I need to lighten up.)

So I've been carting this project around a lot but discovered today that there is one public place where I simply will not knit -- the auto repair shop.

My inspection is up in two weeks, and since I'm nuts, I decided to take my car in today. (Hey, there is always the chance that it would need some obscure part that can only be imported from Pluto.) I was stuck sitting in that gawd awful, teeny tiny waiting room for two hours, but I just couldn't bring myself to knit. I was paranoid enough that I would get ripped off, that they would take one look at my Neon and decide that I knew nothing about cars. (Which I do not.) I felt if I busted out my knitting, they would *definitely* decide that I knew nothing about cars and fail my inspection. So I read a well-thumbed Time magazine from the Nixon administration and, oddly, the August issue of Vogue.

It must have worked because that bucket of bolts actually passed its inspection. I wanted to hug it and kiss it a la Lindsay Lohan in "Herbie: Fully Loaded" -- which I suffered through with my cousin's triplets. But I think hugging and kissing a car makes knitting look downright rugged.

16 Comments:

Blogger the knitrider said...

beautiful lelah!! i love that color!

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Oh you look HOT in your new Lelah, even if you did (gasp) cut it! Ha! I love it. So cute. It's the one thing that I've worn more than 2 times!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Purly Whites said...

Lelah looks fabulous on you! You did a excellent job!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Cute Lelah!!!!! What yarn did you use? It shows off the lace realy well. I want to start Hot Lava soon too. I say it's a cropped jacket, darnit!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Sluggo said...

You damn militant knitters. Always upsetting the peaceful doormen of the world.

And, a yarn store with a doorman? Only in new York, and only at the Seaport.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Oh wow, you look so great in that! Adorable!

I have been eyeing that cardigan, ahem shrug, myself... hmmm...

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Lee Ann said...

That looks gorgeous...and thanks for the link to hot lava, because the shape of that is equally cool. I wonder if girls with chests can do that one and look okay...

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Eddie David Peter said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:53 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

weird, I thought I had commented on here....lelah looks great! Very cute indeed. I want to knit Hot Lava as well, but I would need to enhance the stash for that one. Im with Tara on this one, it's a cropped jacket or a cardigan even! Not a SHRUG!

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Gorgeous Lelah!!

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Hatzolah vic Grabber said...

It's fantastic, and now I know why Layla had Eric Clapton so captivated! Can't wait to see the next project finished.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Veronica said...

Lelah looks absolutely beautiful. It looks really nice on you.

8:59 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

thx for your comment on that hat, and the lucky sweater. that store was rockin! i was also curious to know what kind of yarn you used for your lelah!

6:16 PM  
Blogger mrspilkington said...

gorgeous knitting, lovely yarn (great stitch definition!), and a perfect fit! are you going to do the skirt too?

i agree with everyone else -- hot lava isn't a shrug at all -- cropped cardi sounds good to me!

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

AH!!!! That looks SO beeaaautiful on you!!! I'm sorry I've been a terrible commenter lately, but I'm back in blogging action :D

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I LOVE the color, your Lelah looks AWESOME!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home