new banner

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Oh, the horror.

While I'm not so young, this knitblog is. So I experienced a new sensation this week -- blogging shame. See, I should be finished with my Lelah top. But I'm not. And I had a horrific knitting disaster near the end of it. Now, a few months back, this would be my little secret. But now I have a blog, and folks know what I'm knitting and how stinking long it's taking. (I guess that's awfully paranoid. Y'all do have lives and knitting of your own.)

So, instead of lying to my readers, I'll just fess up.

I had to cut my knitting.

Now that feels better. See, I was totally cruising and made a common mistake -- I was so excited to finish Lelah that I cut corners. I guess I'm just an impatient person. I was sewing in the elastic and just not being as neat and tidy and even as I should have been. How could I be? The end was in sight!

So when I finished, my Lelah kinda looked like hell. You've probably been there -- it was fine to the untrained eye, and maybe only I would notice that it looked so uneven and crappy. I tried to reconcile the mistakes, deciding I could put the worst parts under my armpits. (Yeah, I was desperate.) But I would still know the awful truth.

I started picking out the seam that I sewed, and I couldn't! The stitches were too tight and I was totally screwing up the yarn. After maybe an hour, I knew that I needed to do something drastic, possibly something heretical. I couldn't rip out the crappy rows, so I just cut back to a nice clean part and pretended it never happened. I don't want to relive it, and I CERTAINLY didn't take any photos, but it's over and now I'm taking my good sweet time. And I still have little loops of yarn on my bed. Eek.

Boy, that was self-indulgent. Anyway, I do have a finished object!



It's yet another Little Star Afghan which was introduced to me by High Energy Jenny. My dear friend Lisa is having her first little one, and the shower was Sunday. They want to be surprised by the gender, so I just decided to make the blanket a gender-neutral-but-totally-unpractical white. It's made of Mondial Splendid, which has a little sheen to it. I've never given a handmade gift at a shower, and I was really bowled over by everyone's reaction. Totally worth the effort.

8 Comments:

Blogger emy said...

That star afghan is great!

Don't worry about cutting. I did it once too, on an intarsia that I couldn't rip back simply because the yarn tangled so badly.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

The Little Star Afghan is adorable! I'll have to add that to my list of projects to do.

7:51 PM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

little star is beautiful! it looks complicated tho!!
thanks for the comment on the quilting! i dont think that im gonna do too many more of them!! im not very patient either.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

WEll, that blankie definitely makes up for your wonky Lelah. Soooo cute! Actually makes me want to knit for babies, and that's something I swore I'd never do again! Hope Lelah is on the mend and will be making her debut soon!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why everyone ohhhed and ahhhhed atthe shower. The blanket is loverly. Maman

6:25 PM  
Blogger mandyerickson59758076 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm thinking that that is a wonderful little blankie. So inspired! Yes, white is a bit tough when you have a little one, but your friend will be careful with it and it will become an heirloom. Love your blog!

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

That is so funny- you just put a comment on my page and I was reading this entry... ;)

Love that afgan... yours is way prettier than the pattern pic even!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home