new banner

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

No more shrugs -- no foolin'

This is the last shrug that I'll make, buy, or otherwise acquire, at least for a little while. But, really, how could I resist knitting yet another shrug after viewing the copious shrug options from the Interweave staff? Despite the blurry photo, I was drawn to the cabled shrug. I was powerless to it, really. Don't blame me! Blame Interweave!



This was, overall, an enjoyable knit. It called for entirely too much yarn, for starters. Based on the pattern, I bought five skeins of a Paton wool blend that came 210 yards per skein, and I only used three! Am I missing something?

The pattern also promised that it was "one size fits all," which is suspect to begin with. Naturally, I wasn't that surprised when it turned out slightly too big. It has a strange construction, so I couldn't really try it on as I went. I had to rip out a few rows, and it's still not a perfect fit.

It's not flawless by any means, but I learned kitchener's stitch, which wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. And my seams look better than ever. AND I got to have more fun with cables. Here's a close-up, taken by my long-suffering boyfriend, Jonathan:



When I asked him what he thought of the finished product, he -- predictably -- shrugged. Yeah, that joke doesn't get old.

I admit that I'm a little disturbed right now. My friend Kristin and I saw "Happy Endings," which was great, then stopped at a spot on Amsterdam Ave. for steamed veggies and sangria. Only we got a little more than we ordered. After finishing my sangria, I noticed what appeared to be a large seed on the inside of the glass. I ignored it, then realized that none of the fruit in my drink had such large seeds. Upon further inspection, I realized that the seed had legs and was, in fact, a nasty amber-colored bug. Probably a cockroach. Blech.

Kristin insisted that we complain, but I'm meek when it comes to such things. This seems like a major contradiction, since my job requires me to bother the families of murder victims and sneak into hospitals. But I leave my brassiness at the door. I simply can't deal with being nasty and pushy on my own time. I'm downright timid. Kristin had no problem complaining, thank heavens, and was given a tour of the kitchen by the manager. We got our dinners free -- after they offered us another half carafe of sangria. Um, no thanks.

Let's just pretend that never happened, why don't we?

In other news, I'm starting up the ubiquitous Lelah top, designed by the always entertaining and oh-so-talented Christine at Knitting for Boozehags. I know everyone has made it already, but you're just going to have to deal with yet another.

Here is the Cascade Sierra I picked up for the project today. I already wound one of the hanks into a ball, and I'm SO BAD at that. Too many knots:



I also have a nasty cough. It's August! How is that possible!

7 Comments:

Anonymous ck said...

From the pictures the shrug doesn't look too big on you. It looks great!

8:35 AM  
Anonymous skylar said...

Oooo, the shrug looks great. I had a HELL of a time trying to get it down. Maybe I am a moron. Or maybe I'll try it again sometime. The pattern was really hard for me to follow.

I can't wait to see your Lelah top! I love mine and it's become my most popular knitted garment to date.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Love that pin you're using on your shrug. I think it came out really well! That was my fave pattern out of all the IK shrugs and it looks cute on you.

And the cockroach.....nasty. Maybe you should've drank another carafe of the sangria cause then you'd forget all about it. :)

7:42 AM  
Blogger yahaira said...

I love the shrug and the yarn for the future lelah. I've been dreaming of that color lately for some reason. Now I'll probably just have nightmares about roaches in my drink, yuk!

8:19 AM  
Blogger wrtrmaus said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am going to miss having the skeleton model, but there's not much else I'll miss about the old job.

Your shrug looks great, I'm thinking that I may need to do one soon, but I have a baby blanket to wade through first.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Biglug said...

I like that Lelah top. I haven't seen it before and now I'm totally gonna make it.

I got sucked into the shrug thing too with the minisweater and the interweave ruffled shrug. It's a blessing and a curse!

Your blog is interesting! Thanks for reading mine!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous christine said...

You're caaarraaaazzzy! That shrug looks HOT on you!!!
Well, I got this cuckoo knitting software, i put in my pattern and it hit the yarn estimator button.. and it was like "you need 6,0000, 566,789 yards of yarn" Okay, I'm exagerating, I don't remember the amount, but I think it OVERESTIMATED the yardage on it..
I just LOVE patterns where you have *just* enough* yarn.
And I swear Debbi Bliss makes it so her patterns call for like 10 skeins when all you use is 9 and then maybe 1/8 of yard.. Marketing.. genius! Brilliant! That B****!
I'm just spazzing out all over your comment box! Sorry!

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home