new banner

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Getaway!

It took seven hours, but Jonathan and I arrived at my parents' new cottage on Conneaut Lake, Pa., on Saturday. My mother called during the last leg of the trip to warn us to look out for the Amish -- apparently they ride buggies near the cottage and don't always look out for oncoming traffic. We don't want to be the New Yorkers who wiped out an Amish family.




Here is the cottage -- we do not ever refer to it as the red barn house:




Mom cooked us spaghetti, my favorite, that first night. We had a great view of the neighbor's bonfire from here. (For some reason, everyone there feels compelled to burn things.)

My parents were looking for a cozy place where they could get away, and this spot certainly succeeds. They can walk to the shimmering lake, passing all sorts of cute summer homes with names like "The Shady Lady" and "Not Quite Lake Front." There is also a small, financially challenged amusement park nearby for my brother's enjoyment. (We went there when I was a child, and I had the worst pizza of my life, but I'm over it.) Conneaut has perhaps the greatest number of mini-golf spots per capita than anywhere else on earth.



But the big draw is a few miles away at the Pymatuning Lake Spillway in Lineville, PA. I'm still not sure what a spillway is, but people flock there because the walleye are so plentiful that ducks walk on top of the fish. (The town actually has signs that say "Lineville -- where the ducks walk on the fish.") But while we were there, no ducks walked on the fish. The walleye just ferociously fought over bread that tourists tossed in the water. The ducks seemed to be above it all. It was nasty:




I was terribly relaxed all weekend. (although it was so quiet that I was nervous. At night, I was convinced some kind of axe murderer was winding through the woods. And what if a bonfire burned out of control?) I spent a lot of quality time working on Lelah, even at the beach. She's almost finished.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

How strange to see these places of my youth! I'm a Pittsburgh gal, transplanted to NYC and then north to Dutchess County.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

oh my gosh, I love that red home, it's so darling! Have you ever read the David Sedaris essay about when he & his family thought about buying a beach house & what they'd name it? This post reminded me of it, it's hysterical. I love the idea of naming random things like houses. I love your sunglasses as well! Where did you get them? I'm on the hunt for new sunglasses, my beloved pair are ruined :C

3:06 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

ack! I grew up about 30 min from Conneaut. How random. :) I always thought those crazy fish were carp.....course I haven't been there since I was like 7!

8:01 AM  
Blogger the knitrider said...

thanks for your comment on my blog! my mom loves her lelah!! looks like you had a nice time!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous skylar said...

I am so loving that cottage! It's adorable. People in So Cal don't even have a clue what cottages are (including me) but it looks like a wonderful way to get away from it all.

I can't wait to see your finished Lelah. I love mine and it's like my MOST FAVORITE knitted thing YET! Yay Christine for the pattern!

12:37 PM  
Blogger yahaira said...

omg, this reminds me of when my bf's parents drag us up to their lake cabin (notice they call it a cabin instead of a house or cottage, totally dont get that)up in PA. too funny! I have to remember what they named their house, it's something stupid like "just right" or something like that.

9:10 AM  
Blogger General Ginger said...

Knitting on the beach. That is fantastic!

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Esther said...

Wow what great pics! Looks like you had a fantastic time - and you're a brave one knitting on the beach!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Maggie said...

What a beautiful cottage your parents have. Makes me miss mine so much.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home