new banner

Monday, July 11, 2005

the cute little doll with the strawberry smell

My mother, ever wise, insists that when you shop, you simply cannot go in search of a specific article. Need a new black cardigan? You'll never find it. Want a pair of strappy silver sandals? You'll only see gold. Desperate for a pair of low-rise, dark denim, boot cut, petite, size 5 jeans? Dream on.

Generally, she's right. I can't even begin to calculate the hours that she and I have spent in search of black wool coats, bathing suits, back-to-school shoes and, rather recently, the jeans described above. Thank goodness we consider mall-time our quality time.

But there was one glorious day three years ago when I had the oddest of requests in my mind and, miraculously, found it. I was reminded of this treasure hunt by a post on Skylar's adorable blog.

I had recently quit my job as a reporter in New Haven, CT, a rather traumatic experience. Though I wouldn't dare to admit it, I dreamt of being a reporter in New York -- and the only way that was ever going to happen was a leap of faith. So I quit my perfectly fine job, enrolled in grad school down here, and started plotting my move to the big city.

That summer, though, I remained in CT, doing a little freelance writing and working at a fabric store. This was a humbling experience for numerous reasons. What was I thinking, working odd hours for near minimum wage? I'd wanted to be a reporter since fifth grade, and here I was cutting gingham and calicos for someone else's quilts.

Looking back, this was when I threw myself head on into crafts, trying new things and really challenging myself. I found that I didn't need a byline to feel rewarded, I didn't need a business card to feel worthwhile. Teaching myself to knit, learning to insert a zipper and finishing a cute halter top each gave me an entirely different sense of accomplishment.

Anyway, I saw some Strawberry Shortcake sheets selling on ebay for some exorbitant amount that summer and thought, "Wouldn't it be cool find this for $3 at Goodwill?"

So I drove to the Goodwill in Milford, walked straight back to the moth-ball smelling linen section, and don't you know they were sitting right there? Honestly, I got a little weak in the knees. I whipped this up in a few days -- bet it's not quite what Simplicity had in mind. (As always, these fantastic photos were taken in my bathroom!)

Posted by Picasa


Here's a close-up of the sheet's pattern:

Posted by Picasa


Enough of that trip down memory lane. I have decided that I need to give you all an update on the Interweave shrug. It was brought to my attention after my previous post about the shrug that the pictures made it look like, well, a thong. (Is this why nobody commented on that post?) Let me assure you -- I am far too busy (and classy!) to make wool thongs with cables on them. I'm nuts, but not that nuts.

I added my reporter's notebook for the sake of SCALE. See, these are clearly sleeves!

Posted by Picasa


And here is a close-up of my notebook. These quotes are from an article about two pipe bombs found on a beach. Yes, I know that my handwriting is an abomination. But at least I know that no prosecutor would bother to subpeona them!

Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

Anonymous Disco Pablo said...

OMG -- THE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE SHEET DRESS! It always reminds me of the Debbie Gibson tank top I crafted for you (and screwed up...grrr) and the resulting stares it received from Yalies as we, uh, "rocked?" New Haven that one weekend.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It only proves you have minature notebooks---or giant friends who need thongs.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Excuse me while I stop drooling..... LOVE THE DRESS, Carrie!!!! Did you have a pattern or are you just a sewing goddess (feel free to lie b/c I'm already impressed!).

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Oh.My.God. I am in love! How cute! Thanks for checking out my blog. I definitely make yours one of my daily reads...

2:20 PM  
Blogger Oslofia said...

OMG!!! I want that dress!!! It is the cutest I've ever seen!!!

And thanks for stopping by my blog =)

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read everything on the page this morning at 6 AM - i"m still on France time. I HOWLED almost the whole way through it!!Everything about it is great - pictures, stories, HUMOR. You are soooo talented, Baby. This is a great outlet for you. Bises. Maman
PS You really do look great in the black tank top. But I can't see the cable.

6:52 AM  
Blogger nin said...

Hey...nice pictures....
keep it up.....

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Amanda Woodward said...

oh I LOVE that dress...you did an incredible job! I've also decided that I'm going to add you to my friends list :D I like reading you!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous vicki said...

Totally cool dress! I enjoy reading your blog.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous ck said...

The strawberry shortcake dress is so cute! You did a great job!

I have been thinking lately that I finally need to give in and get a sewing machine. Hmm...that would take away from knitting time though, right?

4:14 PM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

Love that dress! It reminds me of when I was a kid and I dressed up as Sour Grapes for Halloween...except obviously, your dress is cute, and not plastic with a bad, hot mask :)

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think it's a thong.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home