new banner

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

a bunny, a baby blanket and a bear

It was love at first sight. One glance at this adorable pattern, and I knew I simply had to make a bunny for my friend Laura, who is expecting a little girl. Her shower is Wednesday morning, so I scurried to finish up this little fellow. I'm not gonna lie to you -- I'm not so great with the double pointed needles. That's why he looks a tad lumpy.

Posted by Picasa


This is the piece de resistance -- the pom pom tail. I also made him a little purple scarf.

Posted by Picasa


I also whipped up a crocheted baby blanket. It's a drastic variation of Beth's Little Star Afghan via High Energy Knits. I adore the original pattern, and I'm whipping one up for another friend who is expecting. But I decided to mix it up a bit for this blanket, which is also for my friend Laura. She already has a little one and once mentioned that she has more than enough traditional baby garb and gear, so I thought something a little funkier might be in order. I can't remember the name of this yarn -- it feels like terry cloth, just kinda spongy and soft. So I used a larger hook than called for, and I added a stripe of Patons Divine just to break up the monotony. Whaddya think?

Posted by Picasa


Jonathan and I both desperately needed a restful holiday weekend. As I said to my editor Saturday night, I am always amazed that the news just NEVER STOPS. Every day, there's more and more. In a matter of a half hour Saturday, we learned:
1. There were arrests in the murder of two New York men in St. Thomas;
2. The child killed in a car accident on Long Island had been a flower girl in her aunt's wedding early that day;
3. Jerry Seinfeld's ex-girlfriend's house in the Hamptons exploded. (I'm not kidding.)
4. A boy in Brooklyn was killed for his iPod.

So, we had kind of a busy night. The next day, my brother came to the city to visit several amusement parks. He's a roller coaster enthusiast, and he literally travels the world riding coasters. It's an interesting hobby, but I just don't have the stomach for it. We went to Rye Playland on Sunday, and Jonathan and I didn't ride anything too nauseau enducing. (Though he did give me whiplash on the bumper cars!) He also won me this adorable Care Bear!

Posted by Picasa


It's Champ Bear. Whatever happened to Grumpy? Is he no longer PC?

7 Comments:

Blogger Atouria said...

Your bunny is ADORABLE! She just looks so unique and fun. Her little scarf was a nice touch. I like the star blankie, too. Laura is gonna love your thoughtful gifts. :)

6:47 AM  
Blogger Atouria said...

Oh, I heard about that kid and the ipod on the news yesterday. That is so sad. The people who did it are shameful.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I didn't know they still made Care bears! Your blanket and rabbit are adorable. :)

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jennifa said...

I love the bunny! Very cute, and great color.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous kristin said...

so, wait, why were we looking at eyeless animals at the craft fair? okay, so i think they're good for developing imagination, openmindedness, etc - but damn, this classic thing is really cute.

2:00 PM  
Blogger High Energy Jenny said...

So glad you made the star pattern too! Yours turned out great!

That bunny is super cute. You did a great job. ;-)

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Skylar said...

Carrie,

I just found your blog and LOVE IT! Just wanted to say hello and can't wait to read more. You've also inspired me to knit a bunny like yours for a prego friend of mine. Cute as a button!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home