new banner

Sunday, April 17, 2005

exhausted, but not too exhausted to buy yarn

I had an alarmingly late night at work -- I didn't get home until 5 a.m. I had to spend part of that time in Jersey, and I was forced to stop for full-serve gas there in the wee hours. You see a lot of kooky stuff in New York City that late at night, particularly while driving. I saw a car full of kids on Boerum Place near the Brooklyn Bridge driving backwards for several blocks. At first, I assumed that they had driven the wrong way down a one-way street, a move I'm familiar with. This has happened to me here once or twice, most notably in the Bronx, where I have never gone without getting lost. Why can't you make a left off of Bruckner Blvd.? Tom Wolfe practically revolved "Bonfire of the Vanities" around that question. But I kinda got the sense that the kids were doing this on purpose, so I just slid over to the service lane and cautiously drove there.

Anyway, after getting a little sleep I decided to seek out my yarn for Knitty's Ribbon Xback pattern. I made my first trip to Seaport Yarns waaaay downtown. Since I'm located there nowadays, I was hoping it might be my local yarn store of choice. It was fine -- I don't know why they wouldn't have a sign outside -- but didn't have what I needed. I called Downtown Yarns on Avenue A, and they did! I found this shop friendly and pretention-free, a rarity for yarn stores. An employee actually told me which circular needle was less expensive. Typically at an LYS, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. So this is what I picked up for my new project. Scroll to the bottom for sample 125 -- it's called golden nectar. Yum!

1 Comments:

Blogger legally intoxicated said...

i *yarn* for another post!

sorry, don't know too many knitting puns. just like i didn't get "every word's a purl." guess purl's a stitch? you'll have to educate your less crafty sisters.

i'm getting nothing done as finals quickly approach, but it's always nice to have another distraction! congrats on setting up the new blog! (btw, is there a pun for crafty blogs, like they call law school blogs "blawgs"? just wondering...)

love, l.i.t.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home